Friday, March 4, 2022

Day After Day


Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This month 4 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.

My “Secret Subject” is:

Do you have a sick ritual? Something you wear when you’re sick, a place you prefer to be and food or drink that makes you feel better?

It was submitted by: https://www.bakinginatornado.com 




 I'm kind of sick all the time.
I have a chronic illness, so sick is a part of every day life for me. And I also have a full house of pets, people, and chores to care for, so even when I had covid (twice now) I mostly had to keep on trucking. Who else is going to clean up hairballs, administer meds, and do the laundry?

I don't think Moms get to take days off certainly not enough days off, and usually when we're sick we're still taking care of whoever is sick right along with us and by the time we really get to feel our symptoms, everyone else is up and moving and back to their daily routine.

So sometimes, if I'm being perfectly honest, a part of my sick ritual is being pissed off that everyone expects me to just keep going being sick on top of being sick. Everyone deserves a break.

I'm a ginger ale person regularly. It's my go to drink possibly because you could almost call being nauseated a personal hobby of mine. And it helps. Or at least it tastes good and has a placebo effect. Who the fuck cares. And I'm also a chicken noodle soup person regularly. It's one of the very few things I can eat without trouble so you'll often find me with a ginger ale and soup which is probably someone's sick ritual and just a regular day for me.

If I'm feeling particularly bad, though, I will definitely take a break from the madness to watch Scooby Doo on Zombie Island. There are 4 movies in particular that I want to watch when I feel my worst. 3 of them involve Scooby Doo and the 4th is Home Alone. Don't ask me why about the latter either. I don't fucking get it. Maybe it's the fact that the parents are obviously flawed instead of the nearly perfect people I grew up with in sitcoms but still love the absolute shit out of their misbehaving kid. Wholesomeness perhaps. But Scooby has been a favorite since I was really young. I watch every new movie that comes out, have at least 12 Scooby toys and figures, and own all the old shows on DVD or digitally. Scooby is a comfort show and definitely one is the things I used for escapism when I was young and still helps me get out of the dumps when I feel my worst--just plain sad or absolutely sick as a dog either way.

But otherwise I like to keep moving. It's what I did the first time I had covid before my vaccines when it was really bad. it's what I've done since I've had chronic illnesses. My neighbor is 96. I get my kid to take him some of one of our big meals every week now and take his mail in to him. He was out trimming his bushes the other day and when I sent the kid to help he was adamant he didn't need any. Maybe it's pure stubbornness and living out of spite, but maybe there's also something to the idea of keeping going to fight off the Bad Thoughts. I guarantee the moment I stop doing what needs to be done and take an arguably needed respite from my choring, I get worse. I may not physically get worse, but I know that a lot of the people that stop all of their doing are still pretty bad off physically and absolutely tanked mentally. To be perfectly honest, living with an illness like this is hard enough on me mentally as it is without giving up the things that I think need or have to be done. Keeping on in spite of the illness even if it's just pure stubbornness is also keeping me relatively ok. Mostly sane. mostly.

So I might take my time to watch Scooby Doo and get my hot shower, make some hot tea... (And if I have a cough it has to be luden's wild cherry lozenges or nothing at all!!), but for the most part you'll find me doing what I do every day. I might be a little pissy I don't get babied like everyone else, but the bigger part of me knows I really can't have it any other way. Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts. Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:

_____________________

Baking In A Tornado https://www.BakingInATornado.com

The Diary of an Alzheimer’s Caregiver https://thediaryofanalzheimerscaregiver.com/blog.html/

Climaxed https://climaxedtheblog.blogspot.com

Part-time Working Hockey Mom https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/

3 comments:

  1. Your neighbor is walking the talk! I agree, if you keep moving you don't allow yourself to feel sorry for yourself (too much). A little Scooby Doo and some ginger ale sounds good to me.
    Nevertheless I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you do have a sick routine, sadly, for when you're sicker than your every day sick.
    P.S. So funny, I recently wrote about Scooby Doo also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been sick often and I have to have the powdered pack from ramon noodles in hot water. Works every time!

    ReplyDelete